AI, Robots, and the Future of Jobs
“US is on the brink of economic and social upheaval due to automation putting people out of work.” Blue ribbon panel report presented to President Lyndon Johnson in 1964.
What’s different this time: Exponential acceleration, Cognitive Capability. Machine Learning and Decision Making. Thinking, learning, adapting.
40% of robots today are in auto industry. “45% of jobs disappear in twenty years.” Elon Musk predicts AI will equal or exceed human intelligence in twenty years.
ROUTINE, REPETITIVE, PREDICTABLE tasks are the jobs most easily eliminated. Lawyers, Surgeons, Radiologists, Pharmacists??? -How reconcile same number of bank tellers today as when the ATM was introduced.
Human skills presently thought beyond scope of AI: Empathy, Creativity, Intuition, Critical Thinking.
Issue of universal basic income is a core or peripheral issue, depending on expert, to the notion of AI and meaningful work. Maslow’s Hierarchy of Needs as well.
Suggested YouTube videos on the subject:
“The Future of Work: Robots, AI and Automation” - Darrell West, Brookings Institution
“How we will earn money in a future without jobs” - Martin Ford
“Will automation take away our jobs?” - David Autor
“Possible Minds: 25 ways of Looking at AI” - John Brockman
“Rise of the Robots” - Martin Ford
“The Future of Work: Robots, AI and Automation” - Darrell West
Top 15 Jobs at risk of disappearing
- Drivers (20 million today)
- Printers & Publishers
- Cashiers (8 million today)
- Travel Agents (How many left now??)
- Manufacturing Workers
- Waiting Tables/ Bartending
- Bank Tellers
- Military Pilots and Soldiers
- Fast Food Workers ($15/hr demand accelerate?)
- Accountants and Tax Preparers (1.3 M average $60k)
- Stock Traders
- Construction Workers
- Movie Stars????? (Adapt to Avatars??)
Top 15 Jobs that will increase with AI/Robots
- Robot Manufacturer & Service Management
- Raw Materials Management
- Big Data & AI Scientists
- Artificial Bodies Manufacturer
- Psychologist and Therapist
- Gene Designer for babies and Pets
- Virtual World Designer
- Cybersecurity & Private Data Storage
- Real Estate Developer
- Biochemistry and Tech Engineers
- Private Services for the Rich
- Elderly Care & End-of-Life Mgmt
- Small jobs not worth automating.
- Anyone in top 10% of any field